Tenancy – Your troubles may include
- you think you pay too much rent compared to other similar properties
- securing the return of your deposit and/or any prepaid rent at the end of your lease
- who is responsible for maintenance and repairs – you and / or the landlord for minor and major
- problems such as water damage, electricity installations, motor burnout, heating , plumbing , TV , etc. .
- fully understanding your lease agreement and respective responsibilities
- engagement of contractors to perform work during the lease without prior written notice/warning
- dealing with unexpected extra charges or increased rent due to new regulation such as taxes / duties
- sudden termination / cancellation of the tenancy contract without written warning/notice
- disputes of any kind during the tenancy.
You could be covered if you have a family insurance policy
If you have a family insurance or other insurance policy covering legal expenses, it is possible for you to apply for legal aid to cover the counterparty awarded legal costs and if the case is lost (total or partly).
The majority of our fee is covered by a family insurance policy – except for a deductible amount of approximately DKK 2,500 to 3,000 OR 10 % of the fee that the insurance company awarded the lawyer.
You are not covered by a family insurance policy
Rent control cases (Huslejenævns– og Ankenævnssager) typically cost DKK 12,000 – 15,000. In our experience, Property Litigation cases rarely cost less than DKK 60,000 – 75.000 in legal fees.
Peter Steen Hansen Your Rental Specialist
Peter Steen Hansen is an attorney and partner of LejeretExperten advokatanpartsselskab and has more than 20 years’ experience in all rental law disciplines. He provides specialist legal and financial advice to tenants and owners of residential and commercial properties on matters including preparation and interpretation of contracts, referral and treatment of cases of rent control , appeal boards and courts, and various other propertyspecific matters.
Peter Steen Hansen has also performed as a lay judge in the courts in Copenhagen, and has for several years worked as a teacher and examiner of the Law Society’s paralegal training program.